Thursday, April 10, 2008

Checking for Loss

Deb:

I headed for the bedroom with Freckles resting tightly in my arms. The drawers of the dresser, chest of drawers, and night stands all stood wide open. The contents of one of the drawers had been dumped on the floor. It was going to be difficult to recall what might have been taken. I guessed that they were probably looking for money and drugs. We had neither in our house. What might they have taken instead? I glanced quickly around. The television was sitting on top of the chest and the digital camera was resting on top of the dresser, untouched. Hmmm.

I remembered the extra checks we kept in the drawer. I set Freckles on the bed with a rub to her nose and I searched for them. I found the box; it looked undisturbed. I remembered hearing that you should check all of the numbers to see if one of the later checks had been ripped out. You wouldn’t realize that one was missing until months later. Flipping through the checks, however, revealed that all of them were there.

Suddenly, I spied something on the floor that made me stop in my tracks. “Oh, oh, Freckles,” I said. “I know something that the robbers took."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am at a loss... What was it?

Anonymous said...

We're on the edge of our seats!

Fez and the Gang said...

Oh no!!! What could it have been???

DK & The Fluffies said...

Please do not tell me they took the banana chips!

The Furry Kids said...

What did they take???

The Meezers or Billy said...

oh goodness, what was it?

The Bunns said...

Let us know quickly so we can prepare some care packages.

Anonymous said...

glad they didn't take any checks, but what was it?