Deb: We decided to tackle some other clichés related to eating to see how true they might be. So here is
The Freckles and Deb Guide to Eating Clichés
(We don't actually EAT the clichés, they are clichés about eating.)
• Eat like a bird – Well, birds like seed and Deb likes sunflower and sesame seeds. Millet-- not so much. Birds also like worms. Deb won’t be finding out whether she likes worms. Freckles only likes the seeds that come in the treat packages with lots of sweet stuff holding them together. She will pass on the worms also. Therefore, this cliché is only sort of true.
• Eat Crow – Eat a crow? We don’t think so! NOT TRUE!
• Eat Dirt – Never in a million years. NOT TRUE!
• Eat My Hat – Freckles doesn’t have a hat, but would nibble on one if it were made out of straw. Deb has some hats. She will wear, but not eat them. This one is only ½ true.
• Eat Your Heart Out – YUCK! GROSS! NOT TRUE!
• Eat High Off the Hog – We’re not sure why you would want to eat on top of a hog. But, even if we had a hog, and we don’t, we probably would not be inclined to eat off of it. Not true.
• Eat Humble Pie – Are humbles berries or are they more like apples? Okay, if we’re talking fruit here, (and both Deb and Freckles like fruit) we’ll go out and pick the humbles and put them in a pie. If there’s enough sugar involved, we’re in! Probably True.
• Eat Out of the Palm of Your Hand – Have these people never heard of silverware? We think we would be reluctant to do this one with all the reports of the H1N1 (formerly “swine”) flu (which people probably got from eating high off the hog!) Not true until the CDC has reported that the danger of infection has passed.
• Eat Us Out of House and Home – Usually, your house and your home are the same thing, so this one’s a bit redundant. But, we’ve got a bunch of canned goods in the cupboard and a full freezer, so it would take quite a bit of eating to eat us out of both our house and our home. It hasn’t happened yet. Not True.
• Eat Her Words – Deb writes a lot of words, but hasn’t eaten many of them. They probably wouldn’t taste that good, being made out of ink and all. Not True.
• Eat, Drink, & Be Merry! This one we can live with. A definite two thumbs up for Deb and two ears up for Freckles. TRUE!! (And we hope it is true for you, too!)